Essling sentence example
- Thus on the 21st of May the battle of Aspern or Essling began.
- His forces on the Marchfeld were drawn up in front of the bridges facing north, with their left in the village of Aspern (Gross-Aspern) and their right in Essling (or Esslingen).
- Three under Hiller, Bellegarde and Hohenzollern were to converge upon Aspern, the other two, under Rosenberg, to attack Essling.
- In the meanwhile Essling had been the scene of fighting almost as desperate as that of Aspern.
- Massena swiftly cleared Aspern of the enemy, but at the same time Rosenberg stormed Essling at last.Advertisement
- Essling now fell to another assault of Rosenberg, and though again the French, this time part of the Guard, drove him out, the Austrian general then directed his efforts on the flank of the French centre, slowly retiring on the bridges.