Enciso sentence example
- One of the crew of Enciso's ship, Vasco Nunez de Balboa, the future discoverer of the Pacific Ocean, induced his commander to form a settlement on the other side of the Gulf of Darien.
- The soldiers became discontented and deposed Enciso, who was a man of learning and an accomplished cosmographer.
- In 1510 Martin Fernandez de Enciso, following Alonso de Ojeda to the New World, took the survivors of Ojeda's colony of Nueva Andalucia (near the present Cartagena and east of Panama) and founded on the Tuira river the colony of Santa Maria la Antigua del Darien (commonly called Darien).
- An insurrection against Enciso in December 1510 put in command Vasco Nunez de Balboa, who had accompanied Rodrigo de Bastidas in the voyage of 1501.
- After suffering much from famine and disease, Pizarro resolved to leave, and embarked the survivors in small vessels, but outside the harbour they met a ship which proved to be that of Martin Fernandez Enciso, Ojeda's partner, coming with provisions and reinforcements.Advertisement