Emending sentence example
- The second group, comprising the next four names, attempts to reconcile the conflicting data by emending the figures.
- A second group of systems may be said to consist of those proposed by Lehmann-Haupt, Marquart, Peiser, and Rost, for these writers attempted to get over the discrepancies in the data by emending some of the figures furnished by the inscriptions.
- 8 In 1897 Rost followed up Peiser's suggestion by reducing the figure still further, but he counteracted to some extent the effects of this additional reduction by emending Sennacherib's date for Marduknadin-akhe's defeat of Tiglath-pileser I.
- by emending 2 See Oppert, Comptes rendus de l'Acad.
- 3 and 5 imply two attacks by Shalmaneser: in the first of which Hoshea was imprisoned and perhaps blinded (Cheyne, emending, "shut him up" in v.Advertisement
- emending the Hebrew text.