Elmham sentence example
- In 673 Archbishop Theodore divided the East Anglian diocese into two, Elmham being the seat of the northern, Dunwich that of the southern bishop. A long blank follows in the history of this kingdom, until in 792 we find Offa of Mercia slaying iEthelberht, king of East Anglia, who is said to have been his son-in-law.
- Of original authorities the best on the English side is the Gesta Henrici Quinti (down to 1416), printed anonymously for the English Historical Society, but probably written by Thomas Elmham, one of Henry's chaplains.
- Two lives edited by Thomas Hearne under the names of Elmham and Titus Livius Forojuliensis come from a common source; the longer, which Hearne ascribed incorrectly to Elmham, is perhaps the original work of Livius, who was an Italian in the service of Humphrey of Gloucester, and wrote about 1440.
- THOMAS ELMHAM (d.
- c. 1420), English chronicler, was probably born at North Elmham in Norfolk.Advertisement
- Elmham wrote a history of the monastery of St Augustine at Canterbury, which has been edited by C. Hardwick for the Rolls Series (1858); and a Liber metricus de Henrico V., edited by C. A.
- It is very probable that Elmham wrote the famous Gesta Henrici Quinti, which is the best authority for the life of Henry V.
- Elmham, however, did not write the Vita et Gesta Henrici V., which was attributed to him by T.
- In 1043 he was consecrated bishop of Elmham and in 1047 was translated to Winchester; he supported Earl Godwine in his quarrel with Edward the Confessor, and in 1052 arranged the peace between the earl and the king.
- we have also Malverne and the Monk of Evesham; for the early Lancastrians, Capgrave, Elmham, Otterbourne, Adam of Usk; and for Henry VI., Amundesham, Whethamstede, William of Worcester and John Hardyng, as well as a number of anonymous briefer chronicles, edited, though not in the Rolls series, by J.Advertisement
- The two posts at the entrance to the footpath toward Elmham have been given a topcoat of white gloss.
- Saturday 9th November: weedkiller spraying Steve Tweed has been spraying weedkiller at North Elmham on both sides of the gates.
- Saturday 9th November: Weedkiller Spraying Steve Tweed has been spraying weedkiller at North Elmham on both sides of the gates.