Elementaire sentence example
- Like most great teachers he published a text-book, and his Traite de Chimie elementaire, theorique et pratique (4 vols., Paris, 1813-16), which served as a standard for a quarter of a century, perhaps did even more for the advance of chemistry than his numerous original discoveries.
- It was reserved for Georges Cuvier, who in 1798 published at Paris his Tableau elementaire de l'histoire naturelle des ani-.
- 2 Daudin's unfinished Traite elementaire et complet d'ornithologie appeared at Paris in 1800, and therefore is the last of these general works published in the 18th century.
- In 1816 Vieillot published at Paris an Analyse d'une nouvelle ornithologie elementaire, containing a method of classification which he had tried in vain to get printed before, both in Turin and in London.
- In the Tableau Elementaire, published in 1795, Cuvier adopts Linnaeus's term in its earlier sense, but uses the French word "Reptiles," already brought into use by Brisson, as the equivalent of Amphibia.Advertisement
- Other works of Cournot's were Traite elementaire de la theorie des fonctions et du calcul infinitesimal (1841); Exposition de la theorie des chances et des probabilLites (1843); De l'origine et des limites de la correspondance entre l'algebre et la geometrie (1847); Traite de l'enchainement des idees fondamentales dans les sciences et dans l'histoire (1861); and Revue somma.ire des doctrines economiques (1877).
- One of the early supporters of this natural method was Augustin Pyramus de Candolle (1778-1841), who in 1813 published his Theorie elementaire de la botanique, in which he showed that the affinities of plants are to be sought by the comparative study of the form and development of organs (morphology), not of their functions (physiology).
- (1 795 and 1817); Applications de geometrie descriptive (1817); Traite de geometrie descriptive, &c. (1822); Traite elementaire des machines (181 I); Correspondance sur l'Ecole Polytechnique (1804-1815).
- Although pressed by the minister to prepare for them a complete course of mathematics, he declined to do so, on the ground that it would deprive Mme Bezout of her only income, from the sale of the works of her late husband; he wrote, however (1786), his Traite elementaire de la statique.
- At the time of his death he was preparing an edition of his collected works, and the portions ready for the press were published in two volumes as Memoires de chimie in 1805 by his widow (in that year married to Count Rumford), who had drawn and engraved the plates in his Traite elementaire de chimie (1789).Advertisement
- In 1825 he graduated in medicine, and soon after he published with Ulisse Trelat a Precis elementaire d'hygiene.
- Among these are Le Diwdn de Ndbiqa Dhobyani; Le Livre de Sibawaihi (2 vols., Paris, 1881-1889); Chrestomathie elementaire de l'arabe litteral (in collaboration with Spiro, 1885; 2nd ed., 1892); Ousdma ibn Mounkidh, un emir syrien (1889); Ousdma ibn Mounkidh, preface du livre du bdton (with trans., 1887); Al-Fdkhri (1895); Oumdra du Gemen (1897), a catalogue of Arabic MSS.
- Laplace (1801); Traite analytique des courbes et des surfaces du second degre (1802); Recherches sur l'integration des equations differentielles partielles et sur les vibrations des surfaces (1803); Traite de physique (1816); Recueil d'observations geodesiques, astronomiques et physiques executees en Espagne et Ecosse, with Arago (1821); Memoire sur la vraie constitution de l'atmosphere terrestre (1841); Traite elementaire d'astronomie physique (1805); Recherches sur plusieurs points de l'astronomie egyptienne (1823); Recherches sur l'ancienne astronomic chinoise (1840); Etudes sur l'astronomie indienne et sur l'astronomie chinoise (1862); Essai sur l'histoire generale des sciences pendant la Revolution (1803); Discours sur Montaigne (1812); Lettres sur l'approvisionnement de Paris et sur le commerce des grains (1835); MÃ©langes scientifiques et litteraires (1858).
- In France, after Calvin's day, the Reformed church used besides Calvin's book the catechisms of Louis Capell (1619), and Charles Drelincourt (1642), and at the present time Bonnef on's Nouveau Catechisme elementaire (14th ed., 1900) seems most in favour.
- The spread of Lavoisier's doctrines was greatly facilitated by the defined and logical form in which he presented them in his Traite elementaire de chimie (presente dans un ordre nouveau et d'apres les decouvertes modernes) (1789).Advertisement