Elchingen sentence example
- Elchingen >>
- The defeat at Elchingen on the 14th of October sealed the fate of the Austrians, though Mack was still determined to endure a siege.
- By daybreak on the 74th, the anniversary of Elchingen, upwards of 60,000 men stood densely battalions were sent forward, and these, delaying their advance till the fog had sufficiently lifted, were met by French skirmishers, and small columns, who rapidly overlapped their flanks and drove them back in confusion.
- ELCHINGEN, a village of Germany, in the kingdom of Bavaria, not far from the Danube, 5 m.
- Here, on the 14th of October 1805, the Austrians under Laudon were defeated by the French under Ney, who by taking the bridge decided the day and gained for himself the title of duke of Elchingen.Advertisement
- To a proposal made by General Campan (who was to attack the fleches) to lead his division through the woods, Napoleon agreed, though the so-called Duke of Elchingen (Ney) ventured to remark that a movement through the woods was dangerous and might disorder the division.