Ekman sentence example
- The last elaboration of the insulated slip water-bottle by Ekman, Nansen and Pettersson has produced an instrument of great perfection, in which the insulation is effected by layers of water between a series of concentric ebonite cylinders, all of which are closed both above and below when the apparatus encloses a sample, and each of which in turn must be warmed considerably before there is any rise of temperature in the chamber within.
- Later apparatus, such as Pettersson's bifilar current-meter or his more recent electric-photographic apparatus, and Nansen and Ekman's propeller current-meter, measure both the direction and the velocity at any moderate depth from an anchored vessel.
- The older theory of the origin of drift currents enunciated by Zoppritz in 1878 was modified as indicated above by Nansen in 1901, and Walfrid Ekman subsequently went further.
- According to Ekman's calculation with a trade-wind blowing at 16 m.
- Ekman shows further that in a pure drift current the mean direction of the whole mass of the current is perpendicular to the direction of the wind which sets it in motion.Advertisement
- Ekman quotes in support an observation due to C. A.
- A canopy of cast-iron was erected over this " Schwedenstein " in 1832, and close by, a chapel, built by Oskar Ekman, a citizen of Gothenburg (d.
- There are also descriptions of inertial motion, geostrophic flow, the Ekman layer and the upwelling process.