Ekaterinoslav sentence example
- The following table shows the urban population in the various divisions of the empire in 1897: - There were in European Russia and Poland only twelve cities with more than too,000 inhabitants in 1884; in 1900 there were sixteen, namely, St Petersburg, Moscow, Warsaw, Odessa, Lodz, Riga, Kiev, Kharkov, Vilna, Saratov, Kazan, Ekaterinoslav, Rostov-on-the Don, Astrakhan, Tula and Kishinev.
- In the middle navigable part of its course, from Dorogobuzh to Ekaterinoslav, it is an active channel for traffic. It receives.
- Below Ekaterinoslav the Dnieper flows for 46 m.
- On the whole the Novorossian governments (Bessarabia, Kherson, Ekaterinoslav and Taurida) exhibit the greatest variety of population.
- The two principal mining centres of European Russia are the Urals, Ekaterinoslav, Kharkov and the Don Cossacks territory.Advertisement
- There is more than one meaning of Ekaterinoslav discussed in the 1911 Encyclopedia.
- Steamers ply in summer to Kremenchug, Ekaterinoslav, Mogilev, Pinsk and Chernigov.
- Two years later he became governor general of the Chersonese, of Ekaterinoslav and the Crimea, then called New Russia.
- Ekaterinoslav, Russia (Government) >>
- Nearly all the trade in the brandy manufactured in the government of Kharkov, and destined for the governments of Ekaterinoslav and Taurida, is concentrated here, as also is the trade in linseed between the districts situated on the left affluents of the Dnieper and the southern ports.Advertisement
- Other articles of commerce are rye, rye-flour, wheat, oats and buckwheat, which are sent partly up the Dnieper to Pinsk, partly by land to Odessa and Berislav, but principally to Ekaterinoslav, on light boats floated down during the spring floods.
- About the town of Smolensk the breadth is 455 ft., at the confluence of the Pripet 1400, and in some parts of the Ekaterinoslav district more than 14 m.
- At Kiev the river is free from ice on an average of 234 days in the year, at Ekaterinoslav 270 and at Kherson 277.
- Even now Nikopol, which is situated on the highway from Ekaterinoslav to Kherson, is the point where the "salt-highway" of the Chumaks (Little Russian salt-carriers) to the Crimea crosses the Dnieper.
- Russia, more particularly at Ekaterinoslav, a very vigorous metallurgical industry has grown up since 1860 in conjunction with the iron and coal mining.Advertisement