Einsiedeln sentence example
- Another Itinerary, preserved at Einsiedeln, printed by Mabillon, dates from the latter half of the same century.
- The religious ideas in South Germany were affected by the development of a reform party in Switzerland, under the influence of Zwingli, who claimed that at Einsiedeln, near the lake of Zurich, he had begun to preach the gospel of Christ in the year 1516 " before any one in my locality tion in had so much as heard the name of Luther."
- Especially did he oppose alliances with France; but the French party in Glarus was strong, and it retaliated so fiercely that in 1516 Zwingli was glad to accept the post of people's priest at Einsiedeln.
- Three visits which he had paid to Italy in his capacity of army chaplain had done much to open his eyes to the worldly character of the papal rule, and it was not long before he began to attack at Einsiedeln the superstitions which attended the great pilgrimages made to that place.
- Zwingli had never meant to remain at Einsiedeln long, and he now threw himself into a competition for the place of people's priest at the Great Minster of Zurich, and obtained it (1518) after some opposition.Advertisement
- Gisler (Einsiedeln, 1887); K.
- This change was due to the influence of Zwingli whose colleague at Zurich Jud became after serving for four years (1518-1522) as pastor of Einsiedeln.
- Saasberg Pass (Einsiedeln to Glarus), foot path.
- Pragel Pass (Muotathal to Glarus), carriage road in progress Hacken Pass (Schwyz to Einsiedeln), foot path Holzegg Pass (same to same), bridle path Ibergeregg Pass (Schwyz to Iberg and Einsiedeln), carriage road 7,126 6,877 6,811 6,227 5,512 5,417 5,158 5,099 4,616 4,613 Krazeren Pass (Nesslau to Urnasch), bridle path.
- His mother was superintendent of the hospital at Einsiedeln, a post she relinquished upon her marriage.Advertisement
- In lower Germany, Cologne and Aix-laChapelle, in Switzerland Einsiedeln, were the principal resorts.
- Baumberger, "Juhu-Juuhu" - Appenzellerland and Appenzellerleut' (Einsiedeln, 1903); J.
- It obviously reappears elsewhere, as it is the natural attitude of prayer, and may be seen in the pious homage of the pilgrims to the Virgin of Loretto or Einsiedeln.
- Einsiedeln >>
- PARACELSUS (c. 1490-1541), the famous German physician of the 16th century, was probably born near Einsiedeln, in the canton Schwyz, in 1490 or 1491 according to some, or 1493 according to others.Advertisement