Egnatia sentence example
- The Via Egnatia, the great Roman highway to the east, is still used; it runs from Durazzo (Dyrrhachium) to Elbassan and Ochrida.
- The Via Egnatia, which Strabo (vii.
- One of these skirted the southern coast, being a continuation of the Via Egnatia, which ran from Dyrrhachium to Thessalonica, thus connecting the Adriatic and the Aegean; it became of the first importance after the foundation of Constantinople, because it was the direct line of communication between that city and Rome.
- GNATIA (also EGNATIA or IGNATIA, mod.
- OCHRIDA (also written Okhrida and Achrida; Turkish Ochri), a city of Albania, European Turkey, in the vilayet of Monastir; on the north-eastern shore of Lake Ochrida, and at the eastern end of the Roman Via Egnatia.Advertisement
- It soon became a place of increasing commercial prosperity, as the most convenient link between Brundusium and northern Greece, and as one of the starting-points of the Via Egnatia.
- The Via Egnatia of the Romans (mod.
- Two Roman triumphal arches used to span the Via Egnatia.