Edward the elder sentence example
edward the elder
- On Castle Hill, in the vicinity, are the remains of an earthwork, said to have been raised by Edward the Elder in 924.
- Shortly after this, however, all the northern princes submitted to Edward the Elder.
- A war broke out with King Edward the Elder in 913; in 921 a king whose name is unknown was killed at the fall of Tempsford, and in the same year the Danes of East Anglia submitted to Edward the Elder.
- At the end of the reign of Edward the Elder (925) the Britons of Strathclyde submitted to that king together with all the other princes of the north.
- In 924 Edward the Elder fortified Bakewell, and in 942 Edmund regained Derby, which had fallen under the Danish yoke.Advertisement
- It was reconquered by Edward the Elder.
- Its history is not clear, but a house was founded here by Edward the elder (c. 910), and became a Benedictine nunnery.
- It was included in the bishop of Exeter's manor of Pawton, which had been annexed to the see of Crediton upon its formation by Edward the Elder in 909.
- Surrounding the church (which stands in a highlying portion of the g own known as Chipping Hill) there are earthworks, possibly the remains of a fortification recorded as made by order of Edward the Elder in 913, but perhaps of British origin.
- In England under Edward the Elder and Aethelflaed, Mercia recovered a great portion of what had been ceded to the Danes.Advertisement
- Another Guthrum was ruling there in the days of Edward the Elder.
- This question of the relations between the English and the Scottish crowns had been raised a dozen times between the days of Edward the Elder and those of Henry IlL There was no denying the fact that the northern.
- In 91 2 1Ethelred, the alderman of the Mercians, who had been placed in authority by Alfred, died, and Edward the Elder took possession of London and Oxford, " and all the lands which thereto belonged."