Edgbaston sentence example
- CONSTANCE CAROLINE WOODHILL NADEN (1858-1889), English author, was born at Edgbaston, on the 24th of January 1858, her father being an architect.
- He was a constant speaker at the Birmingham and Edgbaston Debating Society; and when in 1868 the Birmingham Liberal Association was reorganized, he became one of its leading members.
- At the close of 1847 he returned to England as an Oratorian, and resided first at Maryvale (near Oscott); then at St Wilfrid's College, Cheadle; then at St Ann's, Alcester Street, Birmingham; and finally at Edgbaston, where spacious premises were built for the community, and where (except for four years in Ireland) he lived a secluded life for nearly forty years.
- Before the house at Edgbaston was occupied he had established the London Oratory, with Father Faber as its superior, and there (in King William Street, Strand) he delivered a course of lectures on "The Present Position of Catholics in England," in the fifth of which he protested against the anti-Catholic utterances of Dr Achilli, an ex-Dominican friar, whom he accused in detail of numerous acts of immorality.
- The motto that he adopted for use with the arms emblazoned for him as cardinal - Co p ad cor loquitur, and that which he directed to be engraved on his memorial tablet at Edgbaston - Ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem - together seem to disclose as much as can be disclosed of the secret of a life which, both to contemporaries and to later students, has been one of almost fascinating interest, at once devout and inquiring, affectionate and yet sternly self-restrained.Advertisement
- PS: the howler on page 51 (who won the Edgbaston test by 2 runs) has been fixed in the reprinted editions.
- The 1889 arms orginally had an ermine fess from the arms of the Calthorpe family, Lords of the Manor of Edgbaston.
- Second Test - Edgbaston The role of a substitute fielder can be a complicated one.
- Whoever misses out can always blame the poor referees who all were given top marks in round 9 despite Duffield losing to Edgbaston.
- Australia still seethes today over a freakish Edgbaston dismissal which Border, with a healthy dollop of bias, believed had changed the series.Advertisement