Edentata sentence example
- Finally, this region affords us representatives of the order Edentata, in the shape of several species of Manis, or scaly ant-eater.
- One of the characteristic orders of the Brazilian fauna is that of the Edentata, which comprises the sloth, armadillo and ant-eater.
- Among edentata the ant-bear, scaly ant-eater and porcupine are plentiful.
- The Manis javanicus is the only representative of the Edentata.
- There are two species of the Edentata, Dasypus and Pichiciego, the latter very rare, and one of the opossums. European animals, such as horses, cattle, sheep, swine and goats, have been introduced into the country and do well.Advertisement
- Owen to the typical representative of a group of gigantic, armadillo-like, South American, extinct Edentata, characterized by having the carapace composed of a solid piece (formed by the union of a multitude of bony dermal plates) without any movable rings.
- Accordingly, a modification of the character, even of the true Edentata, as given in the earlier article, is rendered necessary.
- With the exception of the Cetacea, most of the Edentata, and the Sirenia, in which the teeth, when present, have been specialized in a retrograde or aberrant manner, the placental mammals as a whole have a dentition conforming more or less closely to the foregoing type.
- In the American anteaters and the pangolins among the Edentata no traces of teeth have been found at any age.
- As to the Edentata, it is still a matter of uncertainty whether the pangolins (Pholidota) and the ant-bears (Tubulidentata) are rightly referred to an order typically represented by the sloths, anteaters, and armadillos of South and Central America, or whether the two first-named groups have any close relationship with one another.Advertisement
- The remains of two species of Edentata have been found, as well as those of several species of small Rodents, also of a Carni v ore (Cryptoprocta), a larger variety of the species still living in the island.