Ectoprocta sentence example
- Ectoprocta (Nitsche).
- Hatschek (1888) treated the Entoprocta as a division of his group Scolecida, characterized by the possession of a primary body-cavity and of protonephridia; while he placed the Ectoprocta, with the Phoronida and Brachiopoda, in a distinct group, the Tentaculata.
- In the majority of Ectoprocta there is no stolon, the zooids growing out of one another and being usually apposed so as to form continuous sheets or branches.
- The zooids of which the colonies of Ectoprocta are composed consist of two parts: the body-wall and the visceral mass (figs.Advertisement
- The ovary (o) and the testis (t) of Ectoprocta are developed on the body-wall, on the stomach, or on the funiculus.
- In most Ectoprocta, however, the development takes place internally or in an ovicell, and a considerable quantity of yolk is present.
- The development of the Ectoprocta is intelligible on the hypothesis that the Entoprocta form the starting-point of the series.
- Against this view may be urged the essential similarity between the processes of budding in Entoprocta and Ectoprocta (cf.
- In the Ectoprocta they are retractile into an introvert, the "tentaclesheath" (fig.Advertisement
- This latter organ is pigmented in all Polyzoa, and is produced, in the Ectoprocta, beyond the point where the intestine leaves it into a conspicuous caecum (fig.