Easdale sentence example
- The Inner Hebrides are much more scattered and principally include Skye, Small Isles (Canna, Sanday, Rum, Eigg and Muck), Coll, Tyree, Lismore, Mull, Ulva, Staffa, Iona, Kerrera, the Slate Islands (Seil, Easdale, Luing, Shuna, Torsay), Colonsay, Oronsay, Scarba, Jura, Islay and Gigha.
- They comprise Seil, Easdale, Torsay, Luing and Shuna, and owe their name to the fact that they are composed mainly of metamorphic rocks, Easdale, Torsay and Luing being entirely slate, Seil mostly slate with some porphyrite in the north, and Shuna gneissose.
- The steamers to and from Oban usually call at Luing and Easdale.
- Off a promontory on its west coast, divided only by a narrow strait, is the comparatively flat island of Easdale (pop. 284), measuring roughly 2 m.
- Easdale Tarn lies in a rock basin that was formed by a cirque glacier perched high up above the main valley of Far Easdale.Advertisement
- Once on Easdale Island we visit the local folk museum, where we learn about the life of the former slate mining community.
- The walls are of mixed local stone and much of it is Easdale slate containing iron pyrites.