Eadric sentence example
- Stories like these prove even more than the real rise of Hagano and Eadric. In England the nobility of the thegns was to a great extent personally displaced, so to speak, by the results of the Norman Conquest.
- From the laws of the Kentish kings Lhothhere and Eadric (673-685) we learn that the Wic-reeve was an officer of the king of Kent, who exercised a jurisdiction over the Kentish men trading with or at London, or was appointed to watch over their interests.
- Practically the entire code of 7Ethelberht, for instance, is a tariff of fines for crimes, and the same subject continues to occupy a great place in the laws of Hlothhere and Eadric, Ine and Alfred, whereas it appears only occasionally in the treaties with the Danes, the laws of Withraed, Edward the Elder, lEthelstan, Edgar, Edmund and Ethelred.
- In 686 the South Saxons attacked Hlothhere, king of Kent, in support of his nephew Eadric, but soon afterwards Berhthun was killed and the kingdom subjugated for a time by Ceadwalla, who had now become king of Wessex.
- In 685 Eadric, who seems to have quarrelled with Hlothhere, went into exile and led the South Saxons against him.Advertisement
- For the two ealdormen whom he delighted to honor and placed at the head of his armies, ~lfric and Eadric Streona, are accused, the one of persistent cowardice, the other of underhand intrigue with the Danes.
- There followed a year of desperate struggle: the two young kings fought five pitched battles, fortune seemed to favor Edmund, and the traitor Eadric submitted to him with all Wessex.
- But thelast engagement, at Assandun (Ashingdon) in Essex went against the English, mainly because Eadric again betrayed the national catise and deserted to the enemy.
- Though he neednot be blamed for making a prompt end of the traitor Eadric Streona and of Tjhtred, the turbulent earl of Northumbria, at the commencement of his reign, there are other and less justifiable deeds of blood to be laid to his account.
- The most important of these were Ã†lfhere under Eadgar, Edward and "Ethelred, Eadric Streona, under the last-mentioned king, and Leofric, under the Danish kings.Advertisement
- The most important of these were Ãƒâ€ lfhere under Eadgar, Edward and "Ethelred, Eadric Streona, under the last-mentioned king, and Leofric, under the Danish kings.