Eadberht sentence example
- In 737 he voluntarily retired to a monastery and left the kingdom to his cousin Eadberht.
- In 750 Eadberht is said to have annexed a large part of Ayrshire to his kingdom.
- Eadberht showed considerable independence in his dealings with the church, and his brother Ecgberht, to whom the well-known letter of Bede is addressed, was from 734 to 766 archbishop of York.
- In 758 Eadberht resigned the kingdom to his son Oswulf, and became a monk.
- Moll JEthelwald, who may have been a brother of Eadberht, succeeded, and after a victory over a certain Oswine, who fell in the battle, abdicated and became a monk probably under compulsion in 765.Advertisement
- Towards the middle of the 8th century Strathclyde was again threatened by an alliance between the Northumbrians and Picts, and in 750 the Northumbrian king Eadberht wrested from them a considerable part of their territories in the west including Kyle in Ayrshire.
- A grant, dated by Birch about 725, is made by Nunna to Eadberht, bishop of Selsey, and to this too "Uuattus" appears as a witness.
- In 798 he invaded Kent, deposed and imprisoned Eadberht Pra n, and made his own brother Cuthred king.
- In 740 he took advantage of the absence of Eadberht of Northumbria in a campaign against the Picts to invade his kingdom.
- double crossible that, having used him to gain the submission of Strathclyde, Oengus then double-crossed Eadberht?Advertisement
- At his death, which did not take place until 725, he left the kingdom to his sons Aethelberht, Eadberht and Alric. After the annal 694 in the Chronicle there is inserted a grant of privileges to the church, which purports to have been issued by Wihtred at a place called Baccancelde.