Denderah sentence example
- Petrie, Denderah (1900); Nagada and Ballas (1896).
- In late times the priests of Denderah claimed Khufu as a benefactor; he was reputed to have built temples to the gods near the Great Pyramids and Sphinx (where also a pyramid of his daughter Hentsen is spoken of), and there are incidental notices of him in the medical and religious literature.
- 15 Les Zodiaques de Denderah, p. 78.
- 1s See Riel's Das feste Jahr von Denderah (1878).
- His chief published works are: Le Serapeum de Memphis (18J7 and following years); Denderah, five folios and one 4to (1873-1875) Abydos, two folios and one 4to (1870-1880); Karnak, folio and 4to (1875); Deir el-Bahari, folio and 4to (1877); Listes geographiques des p_ y lones de Karnak, folio (1875); Catalogue du Muse'e de Boulaq (six editions 1864-1876); A percu de l'histoire d'Egypte (four editions, 1864-1874, &c.); LesMastabas de l'ancien empire (edited by Maspero) (1883).Advertisement
- The zodiac of Denderah; the Savoyards who carved their pine-forests into toys; the naked Derar, horsed on an idea, charging a troop of Roman cavalry; the long, austere Pythagorean lustrum of silence; Napoleon on the deck of the "Bellerophon," observing the drill of the English soldiers; the Egyptian doctrine that every man has two pairs of eyes; Empedocles and his shoe; the horizontal stratification of the earth; a soft mushroom pushing its way through the hard ground, - all these allusions and a thousand more are found in the same volume.
- In Denderah we have an example of the second group, in which the massive pylon is omitted.