Delians sentence example
- The Delians, suffering a dire pestilence, consulted their oracles, and were ordered to double the volume of the altar to their tutelary god, Apollo.
- The error was discovered, and the Delians applied to Plato for his advice, and Plato referred them to Eudoxus.
- According to Herodotus, two maidens, Opis and Arge, and later two others, Hyperoche and Laodice, escorted by five men, called by the Delians Perpherees, were sent by the Hyperboreans with certain offerings to Delos.
- The Hyperboreans were thus the bearers of the sacrificial gifts to Apollo over land and sea, irrespective of their home, the name being given to Delphians, Thessalians, Athenians and Delians.
- In historical times this dance was still danced by the Delians round a horned altar.Advertisement
- In 422 they expelled the Delians (Thuc. v.