Deioces sentence example
- Then Deioces, son of Phraortes, an illustrious man of upright character, was chosen judge in his village, and the justness of his decisions induced the inhabitants of the other villages to throng to him.
- At last the Medes resolved to make an end of the intolerable state of their country by erecting a kingdom, and chose Deioces king.
- We know from the Assyrian inscriptions that just at the time which Herodotus assigns to Deioces the Medes were divided into numerous small principalities and subjected to the great Assyrian conquerors.
- His district is called "bitDayaukki," "house of Deioces," also in 713, when Sargon invaded these regions again.
- Deioces >>Advertisement
- 102) he was the son of Deioces, and began the Median conquests.
- Rawlinson supposes, the fifty-three years of Deioces ought in reality to be transferred to him).
- According to the account of Herodotus, the dynasty was derived from Deioces, the captive of Sargon, whose descendants may have found refuge in the desert.
- The Greeks supposed it to be the capital of Media, confusing the Manda, of whom Astyages was king, with the Mada or Medes of Media Atropatene, and ascribed its foundation to Deioces (the Daiukku of the cuneiform inscriptions), who is said to have surrounded his palace in it with seven concentric walls of different colours.
- DEIOCES (Onc6vis), according to Herodotus (i.Advertisement