Decaen sentence example
- But he needed time in order to build a navy and to prepare for the execution of the schemes for the overthrow of the British power in India, which he had lately outlined to General Decaen, the new governor of the French possessions in that land.
- The sailing of Decaen's squadron early in March 1803 had alarmed the British ministers and doubtless confirmed their resolve to have the question of peace or war settled speedily.
- Napoleon wished to postpone the rupture for fully eighteen months, as is shown by his secret instructions to Decaen.
- The arrival of General Decaen, sent out by Bonaparte in 1802, restored security to the island, and five years later Villele, who had now realized a large fortune, returned to France.
- 8,000 men under Clausel and Decaen guarded the Pyrenean frontier; whilst Lamarque led 10,000 men into La Vendee to quell the insurrection in that quarter.Advertisement