Deakin sentence example
- But a reorganization of the military forces, on the basis of obligatory national training, was already contemplated, though the first Bill introduced for this purpose by Mr Deakin's government (Sept.
- "ALFRED DEAKIN (1856-1919), Australian statesman, was born at Melbourne Aug.
- The following year he was Attorney-General in Mr. Deakin's administration (1908-9) and held the same office under Mr. Fisher (1910-3), and again in his first War Cabinet (1914-6).
- At the opening of 1904 he was officially invited by Mr Deakin, the prime minister of the Commonwealth, to pay a visit to Australia, in order to expound his scheme, being promised an enthusiastic welcome "as the harbinger of commercial reciprocity between the mother country and her colonies."
- At the Imperial Conference in London in 1907 Mr Deakin, the Commonwealth premier, was the leading advocate of colonial preference with a view to imperial commercial union; and though no reciprocal arrangement was favoured by the Liberal cabinet, who temporarily spoke for the United Kingdom, the colonial representatives were all agreed in urging such a policy, and found the Opposition (the Unionist party) in England prepared to adopt it as part of Mr Chamberlain's tariff reform movement.Advertisement
- From 1800 - 1850, William Deakin and Sons used the mill to grind sword blades and gun barrels for the East India Company.
- Victoria: Deakin University Press, 1982.