Damascius sentence example
- The D'mutha of Mana is the Damkina, the wife of Ea, mentioned by Damascius as zavKi 7, wife of 'Aen.
- The disciples of Proclus are not eminent (Marinus, Asclepiodotus, Ammonius, Zenodotus, Isidorus, Hegias, Damascius).
- The last president of the Athenian school was Damascius (q.v.).
- When Justinian issued the edict for the suppression of the school, Damascius along with Simplicius (the painstaking commentator on Aristotle) and five other Neoplatonists set out to make a home in Persia.
- He taught at Alexandria, and had among his scholars Asclepius, John Philoponus, Damascius and Simplicius.Advertisement
- In 52 9 Justinian closed the school, and Damascius with six of his colleagues sought an asylum, probably in 532, at the court of Chosroes I., king of Persia.
- It is believed that Damascius settled in Alexandria and there devoted himself to the writing of his works.
- Interesting as Damascius is in himself, he is still moreinteresting as the last in the long succession of Greek philosophers.
- Leveque, "Damascius" (Journal des savants, February 1891).
- Little is known of him except that he was one of those who accompanied Damascius to the Persian court when Justinian closed the schools in Athens in 529.Advertisement
- Suidas, misled by an incomplete excerpt in Photius from the life of Isidorus (the Neoplatonist) by Damascius, states that Hypatia was the wife of Isidorus; but this is chronologically impossible, since Isidorus could not have been born before 434 (see Hoche in Philologus).