Dalkeith sentence example
- In the season brakes constantly run to Queensferry (for the Forth Bridge) and to Roslin, and coaches to Dalkeith, Loanhead and some Pentland villages.
- A few days after her birth her mother left England, and provision for her maintenance having been made by Charles she lived at Exeter under the care of Lady Dalkeith (afterwards countess of Morton) until the surrender of the city to the parliamentarians, when she was taken to Oatlands in Surrey.
- Then in July 1646 Lady Dalkeith carried the princess in disguise to France, and she rejoined her mother in Paris, where her girlhood was spent and where she was educated as a Roman Catholic. Henrietta was present at the coronation of Louis XIV., and was mentioned as a possible bride for the king, but she was betrothed, not to Louis, but to his only brother Philip. After the restoration of her brother Charles II., she returned to England with her mother, but a few months later she was again in Paris, where she was married to Philip, now duke of Orleans, on the 30th of March 1661.
- In hand-to-hand fighting before the walls of Newcastle, Douglas is said to have won Sir Henry's pennon, which he swore to fix upon the walls of Dalkeith.
- On the secession of 1843 he was offered many different parishes, and having finally settled at Dalkeith, devoted himself to parish work and to questions affecting the Church as a whole.Advertisement
- He acquired the rudiments of his education at Dalkeith, and in his fourteenth year matriculated at the university of Edinburgh.
- The elder of the two surviving sons, James, earl of Dalkeith (1674-1705) had a son Francis (1695-1751), who through his grandmother, inherited the title of duke of Buccleuch in 1732, and was the ancestor of the later dukes.
- A similar railway, of which the chief source of profit was the passenger traffic, was opened between Edinburgh and Dalkeith in 1831, branches being afterwards extended to Leith and Musselburgh.
- Dalkeith is a burgh of barony; Canongate and Portsburgh burghs of regality; beside which there are about 165 villages and hamlets.
- Continue down Dalkeith Road toward the city center until you reach The pleasance.Advertisement