Dahlgren sentence example
- 1842), was annihilated, Dahlgren being killed (2nd March).
- It was armed with 10 guns-2 (rifled) 7 in., 2 (rifled) 6 in., and 6 (smooth bore Dahlgren) 9 in.
- Dahlgren guns; her crew numbered 58, while that of the "Merrimac" numbered about 300.
- Charleston was attacked without success in 1862, but from June to August 1863 it was besieged by General Gillmore and Admiral Dahlgren, and under great difficulties the Federals secured a lodgment, though it was not until Sherman appeared on the land side early in 1865 that the Confederate defence collapsed, Fort Fisher near Wilmington also underwent a memorable siege by land and sea.
- During the Civil War (1861-65) the state gave to the Union 336,000 soldiers; and Generals McClellan, Hancock, Meade and Reynolds and Admirals Porter and Dahlgren were natives of the state.Advertisement
- JOHN ADOLF DAHLGREN (1809-1870), admiral in the U.S. navy, was the son of the Swedish consul at Philadelphia, Pennsyl vania, and was born in that city on the 13th of November 1809.
- Dahlgren's guns were first mounted in a vessel named the "Experiment," which cruised under his command from 1857 till 1859.
- President Lincoln insisted on retaining Commander Dahlgren, and he was qualified to keep the post by special act of Congress.
- A memoir of Admiral Dahlgren by his widow was published at Boston in 1882.
- Karl Fredrik Dahlgren >>Advertisement
- Dahlgren, Stockholm, Sveriges hufvustad skildrad (Stockholm, 1897, issued by the municipal council on the occasion of the Stockholm Exhibition, 1897).
- Another principal member of the school was Karl Frederik Dahlgren (q.v.; 1791-1844), a humorist who owed much to the example of Bellman.
- Fredrik August Dahlgren (1816-1895) gained a great reputation as a dramatist by his national opera, Vermleindingarne (1846).
- Ulric Dahlgren (b.