Dacrydium sentence example
- Certain species of the southern hemisphere genus Dacrydium afford particularly striking instances of heterophylly, e.g.
- The female flowers of the Taxaceae assume another form; in Microcachrys (Tasmania) the reproductive structures are spirally disposed, and form small globular cones made up of red fleshy scales, to each of which is attached a single ovule enclosed by an integument and partially invested by an arillus; in Dacrydium the carpellary leaves are very similar to the foliage leaves - each bears one ovule with two integuments, the outer of which constitutes an arillus.
- Taxus, Cephalotaxus, Dacrydium, &c.) the ordinary integument is partially enclosed by an arillus or second integument.
- Phyllocladus occurs also in New Zealand, and species of Dacrydium, Araucania, A gathis and Podocarpus are represented in Australia, New Zealand and the Malay regions.Advertisement
- The characteristic trees and shrubs of the west include the following genera, viz.: Fagus, Cenarrhenes, Anodopetalum, Eucryphia, Bauera, Boronia, Agastachys, Richea, Telopea, Grevillea, Orites, Athrotaxis, Dacrydium, Phyllocladus.
- Huon Pine (Dacrydium) - A tree of the Pine order of exquisite grace, but not hardy in Britain except in the Cornish and Devon gardens, and others of the south of England and Ireland.