Dacre sentence example
- In 1522 Douglas was stricken by the plague which raged in London, and died at the house of his friend Lord Dacre.
- Within ten years he married a third time, the lady being Elizabeth Leybourne, the widow of Lord Dacre of Gilsland.
- She survived her marriage but a few months and her husband then obtained the wardship of her Dacre offspring, a son who died young, and three daughters whom the duke, with the true Howard eye for a rich inheritance, gave as brides to three of his sons.
- Married in 1577 to one of the three co-heirs of the Lord Dacre of Gilsland he suffered under Elizabeth more than one imprisonment with his brother the unfortunate earl of Arundel.
- The Protector summoned him in 1657 to his House of Lords, but he was imprisoned in 1659 on suspicion of a share in Booth's insurrection and, after the Restoration, was created, in 1661, earl of Carlisle, Viscount Morpeth and Lord Dacre of Gilsland, titles which are still held by his descendants.Advertisement
- Their left wing drove the English back, but Lord Dacre's reserve corps restored the fight on this side.
- As the Scots were forced back, a part of Dacre's force closed upon the other flank, and finally Dacre himself, boldly neglecting an almost intact Scottish division in front of him, charged in upon the rear of King James's corps.
- He now received, at Dacre in Cumberland, the submission of all the kings of the island, viz.
- Home and Huntly, on the Scottish left, charged Edmund Howard's force; the Tynemouth men, under Dacre, did not support Howard, at first, but Dacre checked Home (whose later conduct is obscure) and drove off the Gordons.
- With Herries and Maxwell he shook the English centre, but while Stanley and the men of Cheshire drove the highlanders of Lennox and Argyll in flight (their leaders had already fallen), the admiral and Dacre fell on the flank of James's command, which Surrey, too wise to pursue the fleet highlanders, surrounded with his whole force.Advertisement
- The company, headed by Graham Dacre, now owns 18 dealerships in five counties.
- During their imprisonment, Francis Dacre, Leonard's third brother, thought the time opportune for despoiling his nieces of their patrimony.
- The house is situated at the head of the beautiful vale of Dacre, down which it commands an extensive and delightful prospect.
- But in 1603 he was able, on the partition of the Dacre lands, to make his home at Naworth Castle, where he lived, a border patriarch, cultivating his estates and serving as a commissioner of the borders.