Carved-in-stone sentence example
- plastic objects, carved in stone or ivory, cast or beaten in metals (gold, silver, copper and bronze), or modelled in clay, faience, paste, &c. Very little trace has yet been found of large free sculpture, but many examples exist of sculptors' smaller work.
- In decoration, the acanthus was first reproduced in metal, and subsequently carved in stone by the Greeks.
- Its high tower has four stages, each adorned with grotesques; and Greenway's chapel, built in 1517 by John Greenway, a wool merchant of Tiverton, is ornamented with figures minutely carved in stone.
- carved in stone.
- gigantic statue of some heathen deity was dug up in the parish in 1847, carved in stone.Advertisement
- heathen deity was dug up in the parish in 1847, carved in stone.