Carthagena sentence example
- At an early age he accompanied his father, Colonel (afterwards Lieutenant-General) Edward Wolfe, one of Marlborough's veterans, to the Carthagena expedition, and in 1741 his ardent desire for a military career was gratified by his appointment to an ensigncy.
- Having during his stay in Gaul defeated and concluded an alliance with Theodoric the Visigoth, at the beginning of 460 he crossed the Pyrenees for the purpose of joining the powerful fleet which he had collected at Carthagena.
- Only once again - at the siege of Carthagena - did they appear great; but even then the expedition was not of their making, and they were mere auxiliaries of the French regular forces.
- Majorian (457461), the last capable emperor of the \Vest, proposed to make Spain the basis of his attack on the Vandals at Carthage till his fleet was destroyed by them in the harbour of Carthagena.
- Another and a very serious consequence was that England secured the Asiento, or contract, which gave her the monopoly of the slave trade with the Spanish colonies, as well as the right to establish factories that is to say commercial agenciesin several Central and South American ports, and to send one cargo of manufactured goods yearly in a ship of 500 tons to New Carthagena.Advertisement
- On the 27th ~f December 1870, on the very day on which the new king reached Carthagena, Prim was murdered by assassins who were never discovered.
- The Cantonalists, who were largely galley slaves and deserters, seized the important harbour of Carthagena and the ships in.
- There is also preserved in the church a silver paten, taken by Colonel Kirkby from the French after they had plundered Carthagena.