Carlaverock sentence example
- The picturesque ruins of Carlaverock Castle - the "Ellangowan" of Guy Mannering - are 8 m.
- Sir Herbert Maxwell won great fame by defending his castle of Carlaverock against Edward I.
- Sir Alan Plokenet, Sir Ralph Daubeney and Sir Philip Daubeney are entered as bannerets on the roll of the garrison of Caermarthen Castle in 1282, and the roll of Carlaverock records the names and arms of eighty-five bannerets who accompanied Edward I.
- besieged Carlaverock Castle in 1300 he lodged in the Franciscan monastery, which, six years later (loth of February 1306), was the scene of the murder of Comyn (see Robert The Bruce).
- The Scottish cause seemed stronger than ever, under Bruce, the Steward, the Red Comyn and Lamberton, but in June 1300 Edward mustered a splendid array, and took Carlaverock castle, but, on the arrival of the archbishop of Canterbury with a letter from the pope approving of the Scottish cause, he granted a truce till Whitsuntide 1301.Advertisement