Carisbrooke sentence example
- at Holmby House and at Carisbrooke.
- The Earlier Life and Chief Earlier Works of Defoe (1890) was included by Henry Morley in the "Carisbrooke Library."
- Carisbrooke >>
- CARISBROOKE, a town in the Isle of Wight, England, i m.
- The valley of the Lugley brook separates the village from the steep conical hill crowned by the castle, the existence of which has given Carisbrooke its chief fame.Advertisement
- There are remains of a Roman villa in the valley, but no reliable mention of Carisbrooke occurs in Saxon times, though it has commonly been identified with the Saxon Wihtgaraburh captured by Cerdic in J30.
- Carisbrooke is not mentioned by name in the Domesday Survey, but Bowcombe, its principal manor, was a dependency of the royal manor of Amesbury, and was obtained from the king by William Fitz Osbern in exchange for three Wiltshire manors.
- The church of St Mary, Carisbrooke, has a beautiful Perpendicular tower, and contains transitional Norman portions.
- Carisbrooke formerly had a considerable market, several mills, and valuable fisheries, but it never acquired municipal or representative rights, and was important only as the site of the castle.
- See Victoria County History - Hampshire; William Westall, History of Carisbrooke Castle (1850).Advertisement