Captaingeneral sentence example
- - The second great period of the history of the Jews begins with the conquest of Asia by Alexander the Great, disciple of Aristotle, king of Macedon and captaingeneral of the Greeks.
- Alexander, who set out as king of the Macedonians and captaingeneral of the Hellenes, assumed after the death of Darius the.
- Under the colonial rule of Spain the head of government was a supreme civil-military officer, the governor and captaingeneral.
- In the Cathedral Square (Plaza de Armas), embracing two citysquares, and shaded - like all the plazas of the island - with laurels and royal palms, are a statue of Isabel the Catholic, and two marble lions given by Queen Isabel II.; elsewhere there are statues of General Clouet and Marshal Serrano, once captaingeneral.
- He was also made marshal-general of the Portuguese army and a Spanish captaingeneral.Advertisement
- He held the post of captaingeneral in the Canary Isles from 1878 to 1883, and in the Balearic Isles afterwards.
- The act of Seclusion, which barred the young prince of Orange from holding the office of stadholder and of captaingeneral, had been one of the conditions on which Cromwell had insisted.
- The captaingeneral and second commandant of the archipelago reside in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, and there is a brigadier-governor of Grand Canary, residing in Las Palmas, besides eight inferior military commandants.
- The states of Holland, on the other hand, were determined to thwart any attempts for a renewal of war, and insisted, in defiance of the authority of the captaingeneral supported by the states-general, in virtue of their claim to be a sovereign province, in disbanding a large part of the regiments in their pay.