Capite sentence example
- Soon the gloomy fortress of Triana, on the opposite bank of the Guadalquivir, was prepared as the palace of the Holy Office; and the terror-stricken Sevillianos read with dismay over the portals the motto of the Inquisition: "Exsurge, Domine, Judica causam tuam, Capite nobis vulpes."
- in the decrees of the council of Sens (1485) - non caputia, sed almucia vel bireta tenentes in capite.
- Other views of the original aerarii are that they were: - artisans and freedmen (Niebuhr); inhabitants of towns united with Rome by a hospitium publicum, who had become domiciled on Roman territory (Lange); only a class of degraded citizens, including neither the cives sine sufJragio nor the artisans (Madvig); identical with the capite censi of the Servian constitution (Belot, Greenidge).
- Genera: (a) Pedibus sex; capite a thorace disereto: Lepisma, Podura, Termes, Pediculus, Pulex.
- (b) Pedibus 8-14; capite thoraceque unitis: Acarus, Phalangium, Aranea, Scorpio, Cancer, Monoculus, Oniscus.Advertisement
- (c) Pedibus pluribus; capite a thorace discreto: Scolopendra, Julus.
- His pupil Cuthberht recorded this fact in a letter to a fellow-student, Cuthwine: " a capite sancti evangelii Johannis usque ad eum locum in quo dicitur, ` sed haec quid sunt inter tantos ?'
- 633): "omnes clerici, detonso superius capite toto, inferius solam circuli coronam relinquant."
- The tenants were termed "mesne-lords," with regard to those holding from them, the immediate tenant being tenant in capite.
- The abbot was one of the twenty Cistercian abbots summoned to the parliament of 1264, but was not cited after 1330, as he did not hold of the king in capite per baroniam.Advertisement