Capitania sentence example
- At this time all this inland region was considered a part of Sao Paulo, but in 1748 it was made a separate capitania and was named Matto Grosso ("great woods").
- The first permanent settlement was made by Duarte Coelho Pereira at Olinda in 1530, and four years later he was granted a capitania of 50 leagues extending from the mouth of the Sao Francisco northward to that of the Iguarassu.
- The capitania of Pernambuco was ably governed and took an active part in the expulsion of the French from the trading posts established along the coast northward to Maranhao, and in establishing Portuguese colonies in their places.
- Minas Geraes at first formed part of the capitania of Sao Paulo, but in 1720 it became a separate government and was brought more directly under the Portuguese crown.
- Up to 1 755 all the Portuguese territory on the Amazon formed part of the capitania of Path.Advertisement
- The upper districts were then organized into a separate capitania, called S.
- Ceara was occupied by the Dutch from 1637 to 1654, and became a dependency of Pernambuco in 1680; this relationship lasted until 1799, when the capitania of Ceara was made independent.
- The capitania became a province in 1822 under Dom Pedro I.
- Parahyba formed part of the original grant, known as the capitania of Itamaraca., from the Portuguese crown to Pero Lopes de Souza.
- Before 1817 Alagoas formed part of the capitania of Pernambuco, but in that year the district was rewarded with a.Advertisement
- Adjacent to this grant on the north was the capitania of Itamaraca, granted to Pero Lopes de Souza, which covered the remainder of the present state.