Cantilupe sentence example
- The famous quarrel with St Thomas of Cantilupe, bishop of Hereford, arose out of similar causes.
- Cantilupe was now a trusted adviser of Edward I.; he attended the royal councils, and even when differing from the king did not forfeit his favour.
- The archbishop of Canterbury, Robert Kilwardby, was also his friend; but after Kilwardby's death in 1279 a series of disputes arose between the bishop and the new archbishop, John Peckham, and this was probably the cause which drove Cantilupe to visit Italy.
- Cantilupe appears to have been an exemplary bishop both in spiritual and secular affairs.
- In 1905 the Cantilupe Society was founded to publish the episcopal registers of Hereford, of which Cantilupe's is the first in existence.Advertisement