Cantacuzene sentence example
- Cantacuzene, whom he accompanied in his retirement to a monastery.
- He was the author of a history of the period 1341-1462; his work thus continues that of Gregoras and Cantacuzene, and supplements Phrantzes and Chalcondyles.
- This work and that of John Cantacuzene supplement and correct each other, and should be read together.
- The monks possess a library, in which are kept valuable jewels belonging to the Cantacuzene family.
- The emperor granted him a diploma creating him count of the empire and recognizing his descent from the imperial house of Cantacuzene, §erban meanwhile collecting his forces for an open breach with the Porte.Advertisement
- Cantacuzene, returned to office with an overwhelming majority.
- Upon this version, no doubt, are based the editions of Iordache Cantacuzene(Bucharest, 1682), and that of §erban Greceanu (1693), in which for the first time the Greek text is printed side by side with the Rumanian; and the edition of Anthim the Iberian (1703).
- The first edition of the complete Bible was published (1688) by order of Prince Ioan erban Cantacuzene, by Radu Greceanu, assisted by his brother erban and by Metrofan the bishop of Buzeu.
- During the civil war between John Cantacuzene and the Palaeologi, Palamas was imprisoned.
- After Cantacuzene's victory in 1347, Palamas was released and appointed archbishop of Thessalonica; being refused admittance by the inhabitants, he retired to the island of Lemnos, but subsequently obtained his see.Advertisement
- See the historical works of John Cantacuzene and Nicephorus.