Cangas sentence example
- One of the surviving Christian leaders, Pelayo the Goth, took refuge with three hundred followers in the celebrated cave of Covadonga, or Cobadonga, near Cangas de Onis, and from this hiding-place undertook the Christian reconquest of Spain.
- The trade of Cangas de Onis is chiefly in live-stock and coal from the neighbouring mines.
- Near Cangas are ruins and bridges of the Roman period.
- The advance is marked by the removals of the capital forward from Cangas de Ona to Oviedo, from Oviedo to Leon, and by the settlement of adventurous frontier men in the ancient Bardulia, which from their peels, and towers of strength, gained the name of Castilla the castles.
- The inhabitants have thus an easily accessible market for the farm produce of the fertile hills round Cangas de Tineo, and for the cloth, leather, pottery, &c., manufactured in the town.Advertisement