Campodea sentence example
- 13) in the female are paired, each ovary consisting of a variable number of tubes (one in the bristle-tail Campodea and fifteen hundred in a queen termite) in which the eggs are developed.
- Uzel N (1897), in the thysanuran Campodea, and probably entirely dis appears, though J.
- Brauer (1869), on account of its likeness in shape to the bristle-tail Campodea.
- Apart from these characteristics, the most distinctive feature of earwigs is the presence at the end of the abdomen of a pair of pincers which are in reality modified appendages, known as cercopods, and represent the similar limbs of Japyx and the caudal feelers of Campodea and some other insects.
- Campodea Machilis and Lepisma - to which belongs the "silverfish" (q.v.) - are the best known genera.Advertisement
- The air-tube system is developed in varying degree in different bristle-tails, the number of pairs of spiracles being three (Campodea), nine (Machilis), ten (Lepisma), or eleven (Japyx).
- Among the bristle-tails we find the genus Machilis, represented in Europe (including the Faeroe Islands) and in Chile; while Campodea lives high on the mountains and in the deepest caves.