Campan sentence example
- The environs of Creil (Oise) and Chteau-Landon (Seine-et-Marne) are noted for their freestone (pierre de taille), which is also abundant at Euville and Lrouville in Meuse; the production of plaster is particularly important in the environs of Paris, of kaolin of fine quality at Yrieix (1-Jaute-Vienne), of hydraulic lime in Ardche (Le Teil), of lime phosphates in the department of Somme, of marble in the departments of HauteGaronne (St Beat), Hautes-Pyrnes (Campan, Sarrancolin), Isre and Pas-de-Calais, and of cement in Pas-de-Calais (vicinity of Boulogne) and Isre (Grenoble).
- those of the prince de Ligne, Choiseul, Segur, Bouille, Dumouriez, &c. Some, such as those of Madame Campan, Weber, Clery, Mme de Tourzel, are prejudiced in her favour; others, such as those of Besenval, Lauzun, Soulavie, are equally prejudiced against her.
- Tourneux (op. cit.) discusses the authenticity of the memoirs of Tilly, Clery, Lauzun, &c. The chief of these memoirs are: Mme Campan, Memoires sur la vie privee de Marie Antoinette (5th ed., 2 vols., Paris, 1823, Eng.
- Flammermont in Etudes critiques sur les sources de l'histoire du xviii e siecle: Les Memoires de Mme Campan, in the Bulletin de la Faculte des lettres de Poitiers (4th year, 1886, pp. 56, 109); J.
- In traversing the beautiful valley of Campan it is artificially augmented in summer by the waters of the Lac Bleu, which are drawn off by means of a siphon, and flow down the valley of Lesponne.Advertisement
- To a proposal made by General Campan (who was to attack the fleches) to lead his division through the woods, Napoleon agreed, though the so-called Duke of Elchingen (Ney) ventured to remark that a movement through the woods was dangerous and might disorder the division.
- At the same time the commander of the artillery of the 1st Corps, General Pernetti, with thirty cannon of Campan's division and all the howitzers of Dessaix's and Friant's divisions, will move forward, open fire, and overwhelm with shellfire the enemy's battery, against which will operate:
- 24 guns of the artillery of the Guards 30 guns of Campan's division
- General Campan will move through the wood to seize the first fortification.
- The third order was: General Campan will move through the wood to seize the first fortification.Advertisement
- General Campan's division did not seize the first fortification but was driven back, for on emerging from the wood it had to reform under grapeshot, of which Napoleon was unaware.
- Then when the whole field was covered with smoke, two divisions, Campan's and Dessaix's, advanced from the French right, while Murat's troops advanced on Borodino from their left.