Cambresis sentence example
- The peace of Cteau Cambresis, signed in 1559, left the Spanish monarch undisputed lord of Italy.
- The treaty of Cteau Cambresis in 1559, and the evacuation of the Piedmontese cities held by French and Spanish troops in 1574, restored his state.
- In April 1 559 Granvella was one of the Spanish commissioners who arranged the peace of Cateau Cambresis, and on Philip's withdrawal from the Netherlands in August of the same year he was appointed prime minister to the regent, Margaret of Parma.
- By his victory at St Quentin over the French in 1557 he proved himself one of the first generals of the day, and by the terms of the subsequent treaty of Cateau Cambresis he was reinstated in most of his hereditary possessions (1559).
- France was for a time beaten at the battles of St Quentin and Gravelines, and forced to make the Peace of Cateau Cambresis (April 2, 1 559).Advertisement
- He was not released at the peace of Cateau Cambresis for lack of money to pay his ransom, but he was finally set free on giving his bond for the amount, an engagement which he repudiated as soon as he was safely in England.
- Occupied from 1553 to 1559 by the French, it again fell to the Genoese after the treaty of Cateau Cambresis in the latter year.
- de Lescure in 1862; Lettres inedites de Madame de Crequi a Senac de Meilhan (1856), edited by Edouard Fournier; Louis Legrand, Senac de Meilhan et l'intendance du Hainaut et du Cambresis (1868); and the notice by Fernand Caussy prefixed to his edition (1905) of the Considerations sur l'esprit et les mceurs.
- (919-936), and in 1510 were raised to the dignity of dukes, their territory including the town itself and its territory, called Cambresis.
- Bouly, Histoire de Cambrai et du Cambresis (Cambria, 1843).Advertisement