Calton sentence example
- The city gaol, a castellated structure on the black rock of Calton Hill, forms one of the most striking groups of buildings in the town.
- Burns's monument, in the style of a Greek temple, occupies a prominent position on the Regent Road, on the southern brow of the lower terrace of Calton Hill.
- On Calton Hill are a number of finely placed monuments.
- To the three named should be added the Calton burying-ground, with its Roman tomb of David Hume, and the obelisk raised in 1844 to the memory of Maurice Margarot, Thomas Muir (1765-1798), Thomas Fyshe Palmer (1747-1802), William Skirving and Joseph Gerrald (1765-1796), the political martyrs transported towards the end of the 18th century for advocating parliamentary reform.
- The older are Princes Street Gardens, covering the old Nor' Loch, Calton Hill, the Meadows and the Bruntsfield Links.Advertisement
- Among other duties, the corporation has a share in the management of the university, and maintains the Calton Hill observatory.
- The old Observatory is a quaint structure on Calton Hill, overlooking the district at the head of Leith Walk.
- The Royal high school, the burgh school par excellence, dates from the 16th century, but the beautiful Grecian buildings on the southern face of Calton Hill, opened in 1829, are its third habitation.
- Beyond the walls lay the burghs of Calton, Easter and Wester Portsburgh, the villages of St Cuthbert's, Moutrie'sHill,Broughton,Canonmills, SilvermillsandDeanhaugh - all successively swallowed up in the extension of the modern city.
- A monument to his memory was erected on Calton Hill.Advertisement
- Calton Hill One of Edinburgh's many hills, it is unmistakable with its Athenian style acropolis poking above the skyline.