Calne sentence example
- As early as 1430 some of them - sprung of Alan, lord of Buckenhall - settled in the neighbourhood of Calne and Devizes, whence descended the immediate ancestors of "worthy Mr Tobie Alleine of Devizes," father of Joseph, who, the fourth of a large family, was born at Devizes early in 1634.1645 is marked in the title-page of a quaint old tractate, by an eye-witness, as the year of his setting forth in the Christian race.
- CALNE, a market town and municipal borough in the Chippenham parliamentary division of Wiltshire, England, 99 m.
- It lies in the valley of the Calne, and is surrounded by the high table-land of Salisbury Plain and the Marlborough Downs.
- B r 1SO narth Clevedon „r tong ., .; t ton, Cbrs amo ?ooD `o Calne?
- Calne >>Advertisement
- In 1772, the year in which he was chosen a foreign associate of the French Academy of Sciences, he accepted the position of librarian and literary companion to Lord Shelburne (afterwards ist Marquess of Landsdowne) at Calne, with a salary of £250 a year and a house.
- In 1295 Herbert de Calne died seised of 40s. rent in the vill of Broxhead which he held of Sir Hugh Despenser.