Calmet sentence example
- 79; Calmet, Dissertation sur les esprits; Maury, La Magie; L.
- Of the many commentaries the most valuable are those of Paulus Diaconus (the earliest, c. 800), of Calmet and of Martene (Migne,, Patrol.
- ANTOINE AUGUSTIN CALMET (1672-1757), French Benedictine, was born at Mesnil-la-Horgne on the 26th of February 1672.
- The erudition of Calmet's exegetical writings won him a reputation that was not confined to the Roman Catholic Church, but they have failed to stand the test of modern scholarship. The most noteworthy are: - Commentaire de la Bible (Paris, 23 vols.,1707-1716), and Dictionnaire historique, geographique, critique, chronologique et litteral de la Bible (Paris, 2 vols., 1720).
- These and numerous other works and editions of the Bible are known only to students, but as a pioneer in a branch of Biblical study which received a wide development in the 19th century, Calmet is worthy of remembrance.Advertisement
- Digot, Notice biographique et litteraire sur Dom Augustin Calmet (Nancy, 1860).
- There are many sorts grown, and a selection should include Phosphore, Don Calmet, Distinction, Eclat, Victoire, La Neige, Feu Follet, Pluie dOr, Ver Luisant, Ne Plus Ultra, Eldorado, and Heroine.