Callirrhoe sentence example
- His (anonymous) translation of Chariton's Chaereas and Callirrhoe (1763) marked him as an excellent Greek scholar.
- Such a spot he found at the mouth of the river Achelous, where an island had recently been formed by the alluvial deposit; here he settled and, forgetting his wife Arsinoe, married Callirrhoe, the daughter of the river-god.
- He increased his scanty pittance by translation; in addition to some French novels, he rendered into German the Chaereas and Callirrhoe of Chariton, the Greek romance writer.
- Geryon (from rygpuw, the howler or roarer) is supposed to personify the storm, his father Chrysaor the lightning, his mother Callirrhoe the rain.
- There is little plausibility in the suggestion of Assemani and others that Ruha comes from por t of Callirrhoe.Advertisement
- Its position " on the dangerous verge of two contending empires," Parthia and 12 On a possible restoration under the name of " Antioch on the Callirrhoe " see above.
- These elaborate waterworks were, according to Dorpfeld, constructed by the Peisistratids in order to increase the supply from the ancient spring Callirrhoe; the fountain was furnished with nine jets and henceforth known as Enneacrunus.