Californica sentence example
- Eschscholtzia californica: hardy, II ft., yellow with saffron eye.
- truncata (californica), scarlet and yellow; A.
- Another member of the family is Eschscholtzia californica, a native of western North America, and well-known in gardens, with orange-coloured flowers and a long two-valved fruit pod.
- Of the partridges, the continental red-leg (Caccabis rufa) is established in England, and its ally, the Asiatic chukore (C. chukar), in St Helena, as is the Californian quail (Lophortyx californica) in New Zealand and Hawaii.
- californica, when full-grown and in flower, is a beautiful tree, but its leaves often fall before midsummer.Advertisement
- Soc. (1906) (with bibliography); Lawson, " Sequoia sempervirens," Annals of Botany (1904); Robertson, " Torreya Californica," New Phytologist (1904); Coker, " Gametophyte and Embryo of Taxodium," Bot.
- There are valuable vegetable dye-stuffs, medicinal plants (especially sarsaparilla, copaiba and ipecacuanha), cabinet and building timber (mahogany, &c.), india-rubber, tropical fruits (especially bananas), and various palms; fish are economically important - the name Panama is said to have meant in an Indian dialect " rich in fish " - and on the Pacific coast, oysters and pearl " oysters " (Meleagrina californica) - the headquarters of the pearl fishery is the city of San Miguel on the largest of the Pearl Islands, and Coiba Island.
- californica, North America; L.
- Californica) in this country does not usually rise above shrub height.
- Californian Big Root (Megarrhiza Californica) - A twining Bryony-like plant, having an enormous root.Advertisement
- Californian Laurel (Umbellularia Californica) - A handsome evergreen tree, seldom planted, though hardy in our southern gardens and suited to walls where too tender for the open.
- D. californica (Fremontia) - A handsome Californian shrub.
- Carpenteria Californica - A lovely hardy shrub for walls in southern districts, 6 to 10 feet high, with long, narrow, pale green leaves, and clusters of large white fragrant flowers.
- Its flowers are large and showy, of a rich orange, and in form are like Eschscholtzia californica.
- Californian Vitis (Vitis Californica) - This is the best of the American Grape Vines (excluding the Ampelopsis section) for color in autumn, and it is one of the strongest growers, climbing over lofty trees.Advertisement
- California Poppy: Also known as, Eschscholtzia Californica, Californian poppy is a good choice for inducing sleep.