Calebite sentence example
- 2 The increasing prominence of the old Calebite locality is not the least interesting phase in the comparative study of the patriarchal traditions.
- But the mixed elements were ultimately reckoned among the descendants of Judah, through Hezron the "father" of Caleb and Jerahmeel, and just as the southern groups finally became incorporated in Israel, so it is to be observed that although Hebron and Abraham have gained the first place in the patriarchal history, the traditions are no longer specifically Calebite, but are part of the common Israelite heritage.
- The persistent emphasis upon such features as the rejection of Saul, his enmity towards David, the latter's chivalry, and his friendship for Jonathan, will partly account for the present literary intricacies; and, on general grounds, traditions of quite distinct origin (Calebite or Jerahmeelite; indigenous Judaean; North Israelite or Benjamite) are to be expected in a work now in post-exilic form.'
- 2 The chapter with the prophecy of Abigail may be of Calebite origin.
- There are links, also, which unite Moses with Kenite, Rechabite, Calebite and Edomite families, and the Levitical names themselves are equally connected with the southern tribes - of Judah and Simeon and with the Edomites.4 It is to be inferred, therefore, that some relationship subsisted, or was thought to subsist, among (i) the Levites, (2) clans actually located in the south of Palestine, and (3) families whose names and traditions point to a southern origin.Advertisement
- Calebite, too, are Hebron and its patron Abraham, and both increase in prominence in the patriarchal narratives, where, moreover, an important body of tradition can have emanated only from outside Israel and Judah (see Genesis).
- 2) finds him in Maon, Winckler has suggested that he was a Calebite chief, while a criticism of the details relating to David's family has induced Marquart 2 to conjecture that he was born at Arad (Tell 'Arad) 1 Bethel (ver.
- 12 Rechab (so the LXX) is of Calebite descent.
- 50 seems to show that it recognized the "Calebite" origin of the ark.
- Its seat was at Carmel, and Abigail, the wife of the Calebite Nabal, was taken by David after her husband's death.Advertisement