Caldas sentence example
- It is noted also as the birthplace of Caldas, the Colombian naturalist, and of Mosquera, the geographer.
- There are mineral springs at La Estrada and at Caldas de Reyes, 11 m.
- Among the earlier explorers to reach its summit were Bouger and La Condamine, Humboldt and Bonpland, and Jose Caldas, the Granadian naturalist.
- The finest Caldas da Rainha china-ware, with its fantastic representations of birds, beasts and fishes, still commands a fair price in foreign markets; but the blue and white ware originally copied from Delft and later modified under the influence of Persian pottery is now only 'manufactured in small quantities, of inferior quality.
- The natural sciences attracted attention very early through the labours of Jose Celestino Mutis, who was followed by a number of writers of local repute, such as Zea, Cabal, Caldas, Pombo, Cespedes, Camacho and Lozano.Advertisement
- The seven new departments are: Atlantico, taken from the northern extremity of Bolivar; Caldas, the southern part of Antioquia; Galan, the southern districts of Santander, including Charala, Socorro, Velez, and its capital San Gil; Huila, the southern part of Tolima, including the headwaters of the Magdalena and the districts about Neiva and La Plata; Narino, the southern part of Cauca extending from the eastern Cordillera to the Pacific coast; Quesada, a cluster of small, wellpopulated districts north of Bogota formerly belonging to Cundinamarca, including Zipaquira, Guatavita, Ubate and Pacho; and Tundama, the northern part of Boyaca lying on the frontier of Galan in the vicinity of its capital Santa Rosa.