Calatrava sentence example
- In her thirteenth year her brother promised her in marriage to Alphonso of Portugal, but she firmly refused to consent; her resistance seemed less likely to be effectual in the case of Pedro Giron, grand master of the order of Calatrava and brother of the marquis of Villena, to whom she was next affianced, when she was delivered from her fears by the sudden death of the bridegroom while on his way to the nuptials in 1466.
- Soon after the greater crusading societies had been formed similar orders, such as those of St James of Compostella, Calatrava and Alcantara, were established to fight the Moors in Spain instead of the Saracens in the Holy Land.
- The three most ancient orders of Spain - of St James of Compostella, or St James of the Sword, of Alcantara and of Calatrava - still exist as orders of merit, the first in three classes, the last two as orders of military merit in one class.
- The other two orders wear the cross fleury - Alcantara red, Calatrava green, with corresponding ribbons.
- For a considerable time they were in some degree subject to the grand master of the kindred order of Calatrava.Advertisement
- The Order of Knights of Calatrava was founded in 1158 by Don Sancho III.
- In 1197 Calatrava fell into the hands of the Moors and the order removed to the castle of Salvatierra, but recovered their town in 1212.
- Valdepenas is the largest town in the Campo de Calatrava, an extensive plain north of the Sierra Morena.
- To this age also taiy Orders, belongs the formation of the great monastic military orders of Calatrava, Santiago and Alcflntara.
- The masterships of the military orders of Calatrava, St lago and Alcntara were one by one annexed to the Crown.Advertisement