Calandra sentence example
- a, Calandra granaria; b, larva; c, pupa; d, C. oryzae.
- In Europe a number of " long-snouted " beetles, such as the raspberry weevils (Otiorhynchus picipes), the apple blossom weevil (Anthonomus pomorum), attack fruit; others, as the " corn weevils " (Calandra oryzae and C. granaria), attack stored rice and corn; while others produce swollen patches on roots (Ceutorhynchus sulcicollis), &c. All these Curculionidae are very timid creatures, falling to the ground at the least shock.
- The corn weevils (Calandra granaria and C. oryzae) are now found all over the world, in many cases rendering whole cargoes of corn useless.
- Other beetles, such as the rice weevil (Calandra oryza), also attack dried tobacco.
- Many of them devour seed, as the corn weevils, Calandra granaria and C. oryzae, and in this way vegetation is severely injured, and its spread seriously checked.Advertisement
- The mimosa plantings are good for short-toed, lesser short-toed and calandra larks and for Barbary partridges.
- Bell, Susan Givens, Joan Calandra, and Linda Sowden.