Caepio sentence example
- QUINTUS SERVILIUS CAEPIO, Roman general, consul 106 B.C. During his year of office, he brought forward a law by which the jurymen were again to be chosen from the senators instead of the equites (Tacitus, Ann.
- In 105, Caepio suffered a crushing defeat from the Cimbri at Arausio (Orange) on the Rhone, which was looked upon as a punishment for his sacrilege; hence the proverb Aurum Tolosanum habet, of an act involving disastrous consequences.
- Servilius Caepio (praetor iio), was to be employed.
- Servilius Caepio 1 declared that the treasury could not stand the strain, and Saturninus's own colleagues interposed their veto.
- Saturninus ordered the voting to continue, and Caepio dispersed the meeting by violence.Advertisement
- Marius, finding himself overshadowed by his colleagues and compromised by their excesses, thought seriously of breaking with them, and Saturninus and Glaucia saw that their only hope 1 According to some, the son of the Caepio mentioned above.
- Quintus Servilius Caepio >>
- In 105 they returned to the attack under their king Boiorix, and favoured by the dissensions of the Roman commanders Gnaeus Mallius Maximus and Caepio, defeated them in detail and annihilated their armies at Arausio (Orange).
- Servilius Caepio of having brought about the defeat of his army by the Cimbri through rashness, and also of having plundered the temple of Tolosa.
- Caepio was condemned and went into exile.Advertisement
- About ten years later Norbanus himself was accused of treason on account of the disturbances that had taken place at the trial of Caepio, but the eloquence of M.